BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, September 14, 2009

Namaste

This week my fall yoga classes begin, so it is bound to be a good week.  I have practiced yoga on and off for many years now, and it is by far the best form of therapy I know.   Many years ago, on my first trip to the wonderful city of Seattle, I bought some woodsy-smelling incense and a beginners book, and taught myself the basic asanas (poses) of yoga.  I felt very liberated, and have practiced ever since.  Sometimes I do yoga in my home, but it is difficult for me to achieve a completely focused state of mind because most of the time there is too much activity here to stop and say om.  When the kids and their friends are all here, well, I don't even bother.   When they are in school I try to  get as much as possible  accomplished before they return, which involves watching the time closely, which is not beneficial to a yoga mindset.  If I do practice at home, then it is late in the evenings when everyone is in bed and the house is quiet.  Unfortunately by then, I am so tired I almost fall asleep during my  centering breaths.  Usually I just settle for some good, quick stretches and a few asanas whenever I can fit them in.

But attending a class where I can "be the yoga" is a perfect solution.  It provides me with a place outside of home that is free of distractions.  Where the only thing I am focused on for 90 minutes is the teacher's soothing voice, the poses, and my breathing.  Nothing beats a great class led by a wonderful, inspiring yoga instructor, and I feel very fortunate to have found both.  If all our class did was listen to her voice for an hour, that alone would be completely calming and I could go through the rest of my day content.  However, add to it a challenging physical workout, and the mix is perfect.  When I leave class, I feel refreshed, relaxed and energized.  And as it turns out, my teacher relocated here from Seattle.  I guess some yoga classes are just meant to be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your yoga blog today:) I have also been trying to get back into it and agree with you of how calming yet invigorating it is! keep on writing! kw

Restless Native said...

Thanks for following!